Extreme speed for extraordinary sound. TAC-2R Thunderbolt™ Audio Converter
The compact, rugged TAC-2R audio interface uses the latest Thunderbolt™ technology for blazingly fast speed, near zero latency and the ultimate in high-quality audio, up to 24-bit/192kHz. With its easy-to-use design and advanced converters, the TAC-2R is perfect for studio and field recording of mics and instruments, onstage playback, and pristine audio streaming. It can even serve as an ultra-stable MIDI interface.
Take your performance to the next level. Use the TAC-2R onstage to get the best sound quality from your laptop. With its Thunderbolt speed, high quality converters, and rugged chassis, you can trust the TAC-2R to deliver superior audio night after night.
In the studio
The TAC-2R gives you all the tools you need to create great audio. Flexible routing options allow you to use a variety of microphones and instruments, with high-quality preamps to ensure crystal clear sound. There's even Direct Monitoring for zero latency overdubbing.
Thunderbolt Fast. Creator Driven.
More than twice as fast as USB 3.0—not to mention twenty times faster than USB 2.0 and twelve times faster than Firewire 800—Thunderbolt is the interconnection technology of the future. Co-developed by Apple and Intel Labs, it allows signal to be transferred at an incredibly fast 10 gigabits per second, which means virtually no latency.* Thunderbolt interfaces such as the TAC-2R are also unaffected by computer jitter (slight variations in timing), so there's no need to connect an external master clock source.
In addition, Thunderbolt carries 10 watts/18 volts of power (as compared to the 2.5 watts/ 5 volts carried by USB 2.0)—enough to provide stable phantom power. This also allows the use of high-end components such as the Burr Brown PCM4202 analog-to-digital converter and AKM AK4396 digital-to-analog converter in the TAC-2R.
The TAC-2R performs 4-times upsampling during both analog-to-digital and digital-to-analog conversion. In other words, when the sampling frequency is set to 44.1kHz or 48kHz, the TAC-2R processes the signal at high resolution 176.4kHz or 192kHz. For A/D conversion, this means less aliasing noise; for D/A conversion, this means increased clarity and fidelity.
* Latency time in the TAC-2R is just 4.17 msec round trip when operating at a 44.1kHz sampling rate with a 64 sample buffer size.
State of the art editing with every interface
The Zoom TAC-2R comes with a free download license for Sternberg’s Cubase LE music production software, providing not just the ability to capture incredible high-resolution / low-latency audio in every box, but to do spectacular things with it.
Take your recordings to a more professional level. Steinberg’s powerful and state-of-the-art audio software used by creators around the world now comes with every Zoom TAC-2, TAC-2R, and TAC-8 purchase.
Currently shipping with:
Cubase LE8 for Mac OS X 10.9/10.10/10.11 and Windows 7/8/8.1/10
* TAC-2R is not compatible with Windows PC.
For information on license activation and upgrades, visit our Steinberg Software support page.
Features at a glance
- 2-in/2-out high speed Thunderbolt™ audio interface
- Support for recording and playback up to 24-bit/192kHz
- Ultra-low latency audio streaming
- Two combo balanced XLR/TRS input connectors accept both mic- and line-level signal
- Hi-Z switches allow direct connection of electric guitar or bass
- Switchable +48V phantom power
- Two balanced TRS output jacks for connection to amplifiers or self-powered speakers
- ¼" headphone jack with dedicated level control
- Independent gain controls and clip LEDs for each input
- Large knob output volume control
- Direct Monitoring switch for zero latency monitoring in mono or stereo
- MIDI In and Out
- High-performance mic preamps with up to +60dB of amplification
- 4x upsampling during A/D and D/A conversion for reduced noise and enhanced fidelity
- Asynchronous transfer system unaffected by computer jitter
- Bus powered—no AC power required
- Robust metal housing ensures roadworthiness
- Works with all Thunderbolt-equipped Macintosh computers running OS X 10.8.5 or later
Perfect for in-studio, on-location, or onstage use, the TAC-2R offers the latest Thunderbolt technology in a compact and feature filled unit.
Sound on Sound magazine with a brief interview regarding the ZOOM TAC-2R and TAC-8 at NAMM 2015.
|Input 1/2 connectors:||
XLR/TRS combo jacks
0 to 60dB in 1dB steps
5kΩ (1 MΩ (when Hi-Z ON)
|Maximum input level:||
+12 dBu (@0dBFs)
1/4" TRS phone jack (Balanced)
|Maximum output level:||
+14 dBu (@0dBFs)
1/4" stereo phone jack
|Maximum output level:||
+8 dBu (@0dBFs)
4x upsampling ( at 44.1kHz or 48kHz)
Burr Brown PCM4202 (A/D)
-1.0 dB: 20 Hz - 60 kHz @ 192kHz
|A/D dynamic range:||
118dB typical (IHF-A)
|D/A dynamic range:||
120dB typical (IHF-A)
|Audio channels (recording):||
|Audio channels (playback):||
|S/N ratio EIN:||
-125dBu (IHF-A) @ 60dB, 150Ω input
192kHz, 176.4kHz, 96kHz, 88.2kHz, 48kHz, 44.1kHz
4.17 msec round trip
Thunderbolt Bus Power
10 W maximum
113.9mm(D) x 176.0mm(W) x 46.2mm (H)
5-pin DIN jack
5-pin DIN jack
|TAC-2R System Requirements|
OS: Mac® OS X 10.10 / 10.11 / 10.12 / 10.13